Tips for Motorcycle Trips in France
What do you have to take into consideration when traveling to France? Which documents do you have to take with you? Louis provides you with answers to the most important questions. No liability is accepted for errors – Louis does not accept any responsibility for the accuracy of information.
First-aid kit / Hi-vis vest
Since 2016 all bikers are obliged to carry with them a high visibility jacket. It is mandatory to wear the jackets whenever getting of the bike at the side of the road (e.g. due to an emergency stop).
Bikers are not required to carry first-aid kits.
+ Recommended Products: Motorcycle Warning Triangle, Safety Vest, First-AID Kit, Warning Light »
Mandatory helmet and gloves
It is mandatory to wear a helmet! Only helmets which conform to the ECE 22-04 or 22-05 standard are approved.
Note: Bikers and passengers are obliged to wear CE-approved gloves.
According to the current law (decree No. 2006-46 of 13 January 2006 Art.4, Article R431-1 “Code de la Route”), it is mandatory to wear a homologated helmet when driving a two-wheeled vehicle in France. Article R431-1 states that a helmet in France is considered approved/homologlated if 1. it bears an ECE label conforming to the French (NF) or European (E) standard and 2. it has reflective stickers on all sides (this is a result of a European directive (Regulation no. 22, Amendment 04). However, these stickers are only obligatory in France by law)
If there are no reflective stickers on the helmet, it is not approved and substantial fines may be imposed or the vehicle may even be temporarily taken out of use.
Motorcycles must have their headlight on even during the daytime.
+ Recommended Products: Motorcycle Lightbulbs »
- Within built-up areas: 50 km/h
- Outside built-up areas: 80 km/h
- Dual carriageways (expressways): 90 km/h
- Motorway (freeway): 130 km/h. In wet weather: 50/80/80/110
- Beginners (less than 2 years' experience): 50/80/100/110
112 and 15
Legal alcohol limit
0.05% (50 mg/100 ml blood)
- Riders under the age of 21 may only ride motorcycles up to 34 bhp (25 kW).
- Since 01.07.2016 (for vehicles from abroad from 01.04.2017) the vignettes Crit’Air (environmental bagde) are mandatory in several French cities.
Motorcycle trips across the France borders
Here you will find country tips for motorcycle trips in France neighbouring countries.
1. Belgium *
2. Luxembourg *
7. Andorra *
* To provide you with even better support when you plan your next tour, we will shortly be adding still more countries.